If you want a loved one to start eating more vegetables…….roast them. Don’t sautè them, don’t boil them, please don’t microwave them! Roast them. The veggies go in the oven normal….and come out caramelized, sometimes sticky from the natural sugars that have formed a delicious brown crust on the outside, salty, sweet, tender. Need I say more?! You barely have to season vegetables when you’re going to roast them. I promise, something magical happens in that oven. All ovens must come equipped with secret magical “Oven Fairies” because I swear everything tastes better when it’s roasted!
This is also true when it comes to my Roasted Vegetable Sandwich with Hummus. I use eggplant and zucchini in this recipe, so I don’t roast them too long, otherwise they will get a little too soft, but they are delicious nonetheless! My husband devoured the sandwich in this picture! You know when you’re spouse is bugging you to finish photographing your recipe because he wants to eat the rest of the sandwiches……that you’ve done good. 🙂
Give it a try!
Roasted Vegetable Sandwich with Hummus
- 1 small eggplant sliced
- 1 red bell pepper sliced into circles
- 1 zucchini sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil plus more if needed
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 loaf ciabatta or french bread or any bread you like, sliced
- 1 cup hummus any brand or flavor
- 1 to mato sliced
- a few romaine lettuce leaves
- Place the sliced eggplant, red bell pepper, and zucchini in a bowl with olive oil, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper. If the vegetables seem dry then add a little more oil. Spread the vegetables out on a baking sheet and bake at 400 F for 20 minutes.
- To assemble, spread some hummus on your bread slices and top with your desired amount of lettuce, tomatoes, and roasted vegetables. Enjoy.