Is it spring yet? I’m so over winter. I HATE the cold…..and it’s not even that cold where I live. I spent the majority of my adolescence growing up in Hawaii, so that’s probably a major reason as to why I hate the cold! Oh yea, and my husband is from Miami, so ummm….yea. We’re miserable! For those of you who live up north, or in the midwest….why?! I don’t understand!
I know it’s very cold outside for many of you….and a cold salad does not sound too appetizing on a cold day. It’s okay. I understand, and I have a solution for you! My Warm Eggplant Salad with Coriander & Arugula. It’s light, but very filling because of the eggplant, which is a hearty fruit.
I have a love hate relationship with salads! I’m not a big fan of cold food and warm drinks (like hot tea, hot cider, coffee, etc…).
Are any of you like this?
But this salad…..this salad might convert you. The warm eggplant tastes amazing with arugula.
The recipe is very simple and the balsamic vinegar is robust, but not overpowering. It’s a very balanced dish that I think you will all enjoy.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large eggplant diced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- ½ onion diced
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds or ground cumin
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- ¼ cup cilantro chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 packed cups arugula
- Place a pan on medium heat. Add the oil and eggplant. Cook the eggplant for 3 – 5 minutes, or until it starts to soften but does not get mushy.
- Add the garlic and onion. Cook for another 3 minutes to eliminate some of the raw onion taste.
- Add the coriander, cumin, salt, pepper, tomatoes, and cilantro. Stir. If the pan gets too dry, add another teaspoon or two of olive oil. Cook for about 2 minutes.
- To serve, place some arugula on your plate and top it with your desired amount of the eggplant mixture.