07 Mar Jerk Spiced Mushrooms & Scallion | Strawberry, Apple, Bell Pepper Smoothie
“NUMEROUS SCIENTIFIC STUDIES NOW CONFIRM THAT A WHOLE FOODS DIET COMPRISED PRIMARILY OF VEGETABLES, FRUITS, GRAINS, LEGUMES, AND NUTS WITHOUT ADDED OIL, SUGAR, AND SALT IS OPTIMAL FOR HUMAN HEALTH, NOT ONLY PREVENTING A BROAD RANGE OF DISEASE AND ILLNESSES, BUT ALSO REVERSING SOME OF THE MOST DANGEROUS CHRONIC CONDITIONS. THIS FINDING IS OF THE HIGHEST IMPORTANCE TO THE COMMONWEALTH BECAUSE IT COMMUNICATES A TRUTH THAT HAS THE POWER TO SAVE LIVES.”
Daytime Vegan Menu #27
BREAKFAST SMOOTHIE: STRAWBERRY, APPLE, BELL PEPPER
LUNCH: JERK SPICED MUSHROOMS WITH SCALLION
For those of you scared of the Red Bell Pepper used in this smoothie recipe, please try to have an open mind! This smoothie is definitely one that I’ve been making more often these days. I had a bell pepper sitting in my fridge for a while and needed to use it. I also needed a new smoothie recipe. Soooo, “Why not?” I thought to myself!
The strawberries and apple in this smoothie taste great with bell pepper. The red bell pepper gives a slight zing. I don’t really know how else to explain it. Bell peppers are naturally sweet anyways, with a little peppery kick, so it went really well with the sweetness of the strawberries. It’s not overwhelming. It’s perfect! You will definitely like this smoothie.
These mushrooms were a big winner for me. I love Jamaican Jerk Spiced anything, so I knew I would love these mushrooms. I marinated them in scallion, scotch bonnet, garlic, ginger, allspice, and other goodies and roasted them until they were just tender, but still had a little bite to them! I definitely recommend letting the mushrooms marinate for at least an hour, instead of immediately baking them. This really helps the flavors penetrate the thick mushrooms. If it’s summertime on your side of the world then try grilling them. Let me know how it goes!
Health Benefits Of These Meals:
- Strawberry, Apple, Bell Pepper Smoothie: USDA studies showed that the vitamin K (phylloquinone) content in peppers, including hot varieties, may affect blood coagulation, and may also play a role in protecting against osteoporosis, since patients with reduced bone density show lower levels of this nutrient. One cup of green pepper contains 261 mg of potassium, while red and yellow varieties offer more than 300 mg per cup.
- Jerk Spice Marinated Mushrooms: Mushrooms contain just as high an antioxidant capacity as carrots, tomatoes, green and red peppers, pumpkins, green beans, and zucchini. Selenium is a mineral that is not present in most fruits and vegetables but can be found in mushrooms. It plays a role in liver enzyme function, and helps detoxify some cancer-causing compounds in the body.
***NOTE: This blog is not intended to replace the advice of a qualified healthcare practitioner. All information contained in this blog is the opinion of Monique and is not to be interpreted as medical advice.
- Want MORE healthy meal plans?! Click Here.
- Why does this blog post have 2 recipes? Find out in the FAQ Section!
- Still confused as to what exactly Daytime Vegan is? Learn more in the ABOUT Section
- 1 heaping teaspoon fresh ginger
- ½ cup green onion
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme
- 4 garlic cloves
- ⅛ teaspoon scotch bonnet pepper
- 2 teaspoon soy sauce or coconut aminos
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoons agave nectar
- juice of 1 lemon
- salt to taste
- 16 ounces baby portobellos or button mushrooms, cut in quarters
- Preheat your oven to 350 F.
- To make the jerk marinade, place all of the ingredients EXCEPT THE MUSHROOMS in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
- Place the mushrooms in a large bowl and add the marinade. Cover and marinate for at least 30 minutes, up to 2 hours.
- Cover a baking sheet with aluminum foil (this marinade might discolor your baking sheet). Add all of the mushrooms and marinade to the baking sheet. Make sure everything is spread evenly on the sheet. Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes, or until the mushrooms are tender but not mushy. They should still have a little firmness to them.
- Serve with a salad or rice, or both!
- 1 red bell pepper, stem removed, roughly chopped
- 1 gala apple, quartered
- 2 cups frozen strawberries
- 2 cups water, filtered if possible
- ¼ inch lemon slice
- 4 pitted dates, medjool or whatever type you can find
- Blend everything together until smooth. Add water to adjust the sweetness and consistency, if desired.
Lemon peel and pith have many health benefits so I like to blend whole slices of lemons in my smoothies. If your blender is not strong enough to blend lemon with the peel attached to it then I would use the juice of 1 or 2 lemons (taste to see how many you want to use).