If you want to learn how to make vegan cheese, THESE are the recipes for you. They are easy to make, healthy, and delicious! Use them on nachos, sandwiches, bagels, crackers, macaroni and cheese, and a zillion other things! These really are the best non dairy cheese recipes you’ll ever make!
Click “Jump To Recipe” (directly below the title of this post) to skip the blog post and go directly to the recipe! You’ll miss out on helpful tips for this recipe though.
I have two of the most delicious and simple vegan cashew cheese recipes! I’m going to show you how to make Cheddar Cheese sauce and Garlic Herb Cream Cheese.
Lately, I’ve been OBSESSED with putting the Garlic Herb Cream Cheese on toasted gluten free bagels. Yuuum! I tested this cream cheese spread on non-vegans and it passed with flying colors. The cheddar cheese sauce is great to dip chips in or even veggies, like cauliflower and broccoli. Use the cheese sauce to make an easy and delicious cheesy broccoli, mushroom, and rice casserole (oooh, sounds like a good recipe for a blog post). If you add some of your favorite salsa to it you’ll have the most perfect vegan nacho cheese sauce.
These recipes are 2 of the cheeses I use for next weeks recipe, Four Cheese Baked Macaroni and Cheese. Yup….FOUR CHEESES! And it’ll be vegan and gluten free. My parents stopped by after I made the mac and cheese, tasted it, and loved it! Two days later my mom had my dad driving to my house to bring her some more (they are not vegan)! It’s really good, so please look out for next weeks post.
Until then, enjoy this recipe!
How to Make Vegan Cheese?
Nutritional Yeast is a key ingredient in many vegan cheese recipes.
Nutritional Yeast is deactivated yeast that is sold commercially as a food product, typically in the form of flakes or a powder. It is yellow in color and many believe it has a taste similar to cheese, which is why it is a staple ingredient in many vegan homes. This is a key ingredient to make our vegan “cheese” taste a little more cheesy. Here is the brand most vegans use (remove adblock to view product):
Can I Make This Oil Free?
The vegan cheese spread recipe is oil free, but I use a little bit of coconut oil in the Cheddar Cheese Sauce. Years ago, when I first started testing this recipe I added popcorn oil to the cheese sauce because I’ve heard it has a buttery flavor that I thought would go well in the cheese. I was correct….it tasted marvelous, but popcorn oil is not something I want to consume, so I had to find an alternative.
That’s when coconut oil came along. For some reason, in this recipe the coconut oil adds a slightly buttery flavor when mixed with the nutritional yeast. I don’t know how or why, but it does. It works and will take your vegan cheddar cheese sauce to the next level.
If you don’t like to cook with oil, by all means omit the coconut oil from the recipe. The cheese sauce will still be tasty without the oil.
Other Recipes You Might Like
JOIN OVER 20,000 DAYTIME VEGAN TRIBE MEMBERS ON INSTAGRAM!
“NUMEROUS SCIENTIFIC STUDIES NOW CONFIRM THAT A WHOLE FOODS DIET COMPRISED PRIMARILY OF VEGETABLES, FRUITS, GRAINS, LEGUMES, AND NUTS WITHOUT ADDED OIL, SUGAR, AND SALT IS OPTIMAL FOR HUMAN HEALTH, NOT ONLY PREVENTING A BROAD RANGE OF DISEASE AND ILLNESSES, BUT ALSO REVERSING SOME OF THE MOST DANGEROUS CHRONIC CONDITIONS. THIS FINDING IS OF THE HIGHEST IMPORTANCE TO THE COMMONWEALTH BECAUSE IT COMMUNICATES A TRUTH THAT HAS THE POWER TO SAVE LIVES.”
Save the recipe on Pinterest to Make Later!
Don’t Know Where To Start On Your Healthy Journey? Download My Free Meal Plan & Healthy Eating Guide!
Homemade Vegan Cheese
Cheddar Cheese Sauce:
- 1 zucchini peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 cup raw plain cashews
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon granulated garlic or garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon granulated onion or onion powder
- ½ cup roughly chopped roasted red peppers
- 1 heaping tablespoon coconut oil
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup water filtered if possible
Garlic Herb Cream Cheese Spread:
- 1.5 zucchinis peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 cups raw plain cashews
- 3 heaping tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1.5 tablespoon granulated garlic or garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon granulated onion or onion powder
- Salt to taste
- Juice of 1 lemon
- ¾ cup water filtered if possible
- ¼ cup chopped green onions
- ¼ cup chopped parsley curly or flat leaf
Cheddar Cheese Sauce:
- Blend everything together until completely smooth.
Cream Cheese Spread:
- Blend the first 8 ingredients until completely smooth. Use a food processor if you prefer.
- Pour the mixture in a mixing bowl and add the green onions and parsley. Thoroughly mix everything, put it in a container, cover it, and refrigerate for about 5 hours, or until the cheese is chilled and slightly firmer.
- If you can’t wait to dig in, then you can skip the refrigeration step! These cheese spread does taste better after it has chilled in the fridge and the flavors have had time to infuse into the cashew mixture.
When blending the Garlic Herb Cream Cheese Spread, add a little more water, maybe ¼ cup, if the cashew spread seems too thick and is not blending smoothly enough.
When making the Cream Cheese, use the other half of the zucchini as a veggie to dip in the cheese so it doesn’t go to waste and you have a healthy snack!