These roasted sweet potatoes are great for lunch or dinner with a nice salad. The creamy coconut dressing goes so well with the garam masala I roasted the potatoes with. Garam masala is an Indian spice mixture. The spice mixture varies depending on who makes it. I’ve spoken to a few Indian friends about how they make garam masala and they all have one secret ingredient they use that makes their’s special! Try a few brands and see which one you like the best, or even better….make your own!
Garam Masala Roasted Sweet Potatoes: Sweet potato (Ipomoea batatas) is a plant found in the tropical and subtropical belts and is one of the most nutritious tropical and subtropical vegetables. It has been used in traditional medicine for Diabetes Mellitus, although studies are still being conducted to learn more about the potential benefits in regards to diabetes. Sweet potatoes also provide 769% of the daily value for Vitamin A, rivaling green leafy vegetables!
*** This blog is not intended to replace the advice of a qualified healthcare practitioner. All information contained in this blog is the opinion of Monique and is not to be interpreted as medical advice.
“NUMEROUS SCIENTIFIC STUDIES NOW CONFIRM THAT A WHOLE FOODS DIET COMPRISED PRIMARILY OF VEGETABLES, FRUITS, GRAINS, LEGUMES, AND NUTS WITHOUT ADDED OIL, SUGAR, AND SALT IS OPTIMAL FOR HUMAN HEALTH, NOT ONLY PREVENTING A BROAD RANGE OF DISEASE AND ILLNESSES, BUT ALSO REVERSING SOME OF THE MOST DANGEROUS CHRONIC CONDITIONS. THIS FINDING IS OF THE HIGHEST IMPORTANCE TO THE COMMONWEALTH BECAUSE IT COMMUNICATES A TRUTH THAT HAS THE POWER TO SAVE LIVES.”
Our little friend! This pretty little critter was hanging out with us while we grilled, so I had to take a picture. I love its vibrant green color & beautiful blue eyes.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large sweet potatoes cut into large wedges (you should have 8 wedges per potato)
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup coconut milk (shake the can)
- juice of 2 limes
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- ¼ cup cilantro
- 12 mint sprigs it should be about 1 tablespoon depending on the size of the sprigs
- 1 – 2 tablespoons water if necessary
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Lightly oil a baking sheet.
- In a large bowl mix the 2 tablespoons olive oil, sweet potatoes, garam masala, cumin, garlic powder, salt, and pepper thoroughly. Place the sweet potatoes on the baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- To make the coconut dressing place the coconut milk, lime juice, garlic cloves, coriander, salt, and pepper in a blender and blend until smooth. Add the cilantro and mint and pulse the blender 1 or 2 times so there are specs of cilantro and mint throughout the dressing.
- The dressing may be a little thicker depending on the brand of coconut milk you use and whether or not you shook it well before using it. Add a little water if the dressing is too thick.
- To serve, place some sweet potatoes on your plate and drizzle with the coconut dressing. I like to eat this with a salad for lunch!