These gluten free chocolate cupcakes are moist, decadent, vegan and don’t taste like cardboard! This is the perfect dessert to bring to a party, make for a special someone, or just make it whenever you need to satisfy your chocolate sweet tooth!
Click “Jump To Recipe” (directly below the title of this post) to skip the blog post and go directly to the recipe! You’ll miss out on helpful tips for this recipe though.
Easy Peasy Gluten Free Chocolate Cake!
I love how easy and versatile this recipe is. If you’re a serious chocolate lover…mom!… you can add chocolate chips to the batter, or even white chocolate chips! Add nuts or fruit…the options are endless. I love making this recipe as cupcakes to help with portion control (ha! yea right), but the batter makes a beautiful cake, as well. I love using my heart shaped cake pan when making this for a loved one.
The recipe is super simple to make and takes hardly no time in the kitchen. If I can make these cupcakes, you definitely can….because baking has never been my thing!
Key Ingredient for These Cupcakes: Almond Flour
I am new to the vegan and gluten free baking world, but so far I’ve been loving the use of almond flour in my recipes. Almonds have a wonderful flavor after they’ve been toasted so it only makes sense that almond flour would taste so delicious after being mixed with chocolate and baked in the oven!
You can try to make this recipe with a different gluten free flour if you have an almond allergy, but I have only made this cake with almond flour so I cannot tell you what the result will be.
Here is the almond flour I use:
Gluten Free Chocolate Cupcakes with Frosting!
This gluten free cake is so good and moist that I eat it without frosting, most of the time. If you’re a frosting lover, Check out my Raw Vegan Carrot Cupcakes to find the recipe for a delicious Vanilla Bean Cashew Frosting that tastes amazing with this chocolate cake!
Save the recipe on Pinterest to Make Later!
Join over 20,000 Daytime Vegan Tribe Members on Instagram!
Don’t Know Where To Start On Your Healthy Journey? Download My Free Meal Plan & Healthy Eating Guide!
Gluten Free Chocolate Cupcakes and Cake
A simple dark chocolate cake that is vegan, gluten free, super moist, and delicious!
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil , or any neutral flavored oil
- 1 ½ cups almond flour
- ¼ cup cacao powder , or cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon tapioca flour , or arrowroot powder
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ cup cashew milk , or any plain vegan milk
- 1/3 cup agave nectar
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Lightly oil your cake or cupcake pan with coconut oil, or skip this step and use cupcake liners.
- Mix the almond flour, cocoa powder, arrowroot, ground flaxseed, salt, and baking soda in a large bowl
- In a separate bowl mix the vegan milk, agave nectar, and apple cider until thoroughly mixed.
- Add the milk mixture to the flour mixture and stir. Pour into your cake pan, or evenly divide this mixture into a cupcake pan.
- Place the cake or cupcakes in the oven and bake for 35 – 40 minutes. If you place a toothpick, or knife, in the cupcake it should come out clean, or with just a few specs of cake on it.
- I’ve made this recipe a few times and, depending on the oven I use, sometimes it takes longer to cook. I call these fudge brownie cupcakes because the texture reminds me of fudge brownies (a little soft and gooey in the middle). So if the center of you cupcakes are still a little soft, don’t worry about it! They still taste great.
The batter should be THICK, not liquidy or runny like traditional cake batters. If the mixture seems a little dry, stir in another ¼ cup of vegan milk.