Here we have the BEST Non Dairy Mac and Cheese recipe on the internet plus it’s soy-free! The use of FOUR kinds of vegan cheese makes this dairy-free mac and cheese super creamy!
Click “Jump To Recipe” (directly below the title of this post) to skip the blog post and go directly to the recipe! You’ll miss out on helpful tips for this recipe though.
The hardest thing about eating a vegan diet is giving up the classic comfort favorite; mac and cheese! The vegan mac and cheese struggle is REAL, but I have solved that problem. By far, this non dairy mac and cheese is the BEST I’ve ever had! It’s SO creamy, decadent, and delicious!
WHAT IS THE BEST VEGAN CHEESE TO USE FOR THIS?
I use FOUR kinds of vegan cheese for this recipe. There are all types of vegan cheeses on the market, but below are the ones I recommend.
- Homemade Vegan Cheddar Cheese Sauces. In this How to Make Vegan Cheese post, I share two vegan cheese recipes that are ridiculously simple to make and use ingredients that are easy to find. One is a cheddar cheese sauce, and the other is a cream cheese spread.
- Store-Bought Vegan Cream Cheese: If making my homemade cream cheese recipe is too much work, try substituting with Kite Hill’s or Miyoko’s Vegan Cream Cheese. I have never used any of these products, but I’ve been seeing a lot of vegans comment on how much they love it, so I feel okay recommending it.
- Daiya Cutting Board Shredded Vegan Cheeses: I use both the Shredded Cheddar and Shredded Mozzarella Cheese from Daiya, completing this delicious four-cheese vegan mac! I LOVE the taste of this cheese. Make sure you get the CUTTING BOARD version as it tastes a lot better than the original. Also, stick with their shreds and not their blocks for the optimal taste!
ALTERNATIVE WAYS TO MAKE NON DAIRY MAC AND CHEESE
The best results for this recipe will come out better if you follow the method precisely. But there are a few alternatives you can swap out if you choose.
- Omitting Processed Cheese: If you prefer not to use store-bought cheese, no problem! Try making this recipe only using my two homemade kinds of cheese. I promise it’ll be delicious. It will just be a two cheese mac and cheese instead!
- Using Gluten Free Pasta: I exclusively use gluten-free brown rice pasta when making pasta dishes. Gluten-Free pasta has come a long way and is no longer mushy when cooked. So this vegan mac and cheese will work very well as a gluten-free dish!
- Baked or Stove Top: This mac and cheese taste good, whether you want to bake it or not! In this recipe, I broil the top of the mac and cheese, rather than baking it, but you can skip this step if you’d like.
HOW TO MAKE THIS VEGAN MAC AND CHEESE
1. Make the Cheese Sauce and Cook the Pasta
- First, make my easy homemade vegan cheese sauce, which only requires you to put a few ingredients in a blender and you’re done!
- Next, begin to boil your pasta until al dente’. Drain and set aside.
- Place a pot on medium-low heat and add the cheese sauce and shredded cheese to the pot. Stir until the shredded cheese is melted.
2. Mix the Cheeses and Pasta Together
- Now, add store-bought vegan cream cheese or my homemade vegan cream cheese. Stir until thoroughly mixed.
- Add the cooked pasta and stir.
- You can eat this non dairy mac and cheese like this, but to make it even better pour it in a baking dish and broil until the top becomes golden brown.
- Serve this with my Crispy Cauliflower Steaks for a filling dinner!
The health benefits in this dish come from the brown rice gluten-free pasta. Brown rice pasta is a good source of fiber, with nearly three grams in a one-cup serving of cooked pasta.
Also, being that this vegan mac and cheese is soy-free is a plus! Soy is often genetically modified and may impact thyroid function in those with low levels of iodine.
***NOTE: This blog is not intended to replace the advice of a qualified healthcare practitioner. All information contained in this blog is the opinion of Monique and is not to be interpreted as medical advice.
- Vegan Gluten Free Dairy Free Bread
- Harissa Roasted Winter Squash with Mint
- Vegan Kimchi Soup with Vegan Seafood Stock
- Vegan Stuffed Poblano Peppers with Jackfruit Carnitas
- Sunflower Seed Vegan Protein Smoothie
Save the recipe on Pinterest to Make Later!
JOIN OVER 20,000 DAYTIME VEGAN TRIBE MEMBERS ON INSTAGRAM!
Don’t Know Where To Start On Your Healthy Journey? Download My Free Meal Plan & Healthy Eating Guide!
Four Cheese Non Dairy Mac and Cheese
The BEST Vegan Four Cheese Vegan Mac and Cheese Recipe!
Mac and Cheese
- 16 ounce box of pasta , cooked according to the box instructions and drained
- 1 cup vegan cream cheese
- 1 ½ cups shredded Daiya Cheddar Cheese
- 1 ½ cups shredded Daiya Mozzarella Cheese
- 1 serving vegan cheddar cheese sauce
Vegan Cheddar Cheese Sauce
- 1 zucchini , peeled or roughly chopped
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1/2 cup roasted bell peppers , roughly chopped
- 1 heaping tablespoon coconut oil
- salt , to taste
- cup water
Vegan Cheddar Cheese Sauce
Blend all of the ingredients together until smooth.
Mac and Cheese
Place a large pot on medium heat. Once hot, add the vegan cheddar cheese sauce, shredded cheddar, and shredded mozzarella. Stir for about 3 to 5 minutes, or until most of the cheese is melted. You might still see small chunks of the shredded cheese, but that’s fine.
Add the vegan cream cheese and cooked pasta. Stir until everything is mixed well.
- Pour this mixture into a baking dish. Place the oven on broil. Broil the mac and cheese until it is golden brown. Be sure to watch it because it can easily burn when using the broiler. It takes my oven about 4 minutes or so to get it golden brown.
You can use more or less of the cheeses. If you want to use the full bags of shredded Daiya cheeses, then go for it! If you want to use less cheese sauce, less Daiya cheese, or omit the cream cheese, do it. This is a very versatile recipe. Make it to your liking.
Use gluten free pasta to make this recipe gluten free.
My recipes for Homemade Vegan Cheddar Cheese Sauce and Homemade Garlic Herb Cream Cheese are linked in the blog post above.