Finally, a Gluten Free Dairy Free Bread that tastes good! This healthy vegan, gluten-free bread has the perfect soft texture, and it’s super easy to make! No kneading required!
CLICK “JUMP TO RECIPE” (DIRECTLY BELOW THE TITLE OF THIS POST) TO SKIP THE BLOG POST AND GO DIRECTLY TO THE RECIPE! YOU’LL MISS OUT ON HELPFUL TIPS FOR THIS RECIPE THOUGH.
Finding gluten-free bakery goods that are vegan AND tastes good can be tough. Like I mentioned in my Vegan Gluten Free Cake Recipe, vegan, gluten-free baking can be tricky. But once you know the technique, the possibilities are endless!
This homemade gluten free bread is the perfect alternative for those who cannot tolerate much gluten in their diet. No more eating that horrible frozen gluten-free bread, you purchase from the store that breaks apart as soon as you thaw it out!
WHAT TYPE OF GLUTEN-FREE FLOUR TO USE?
You can use just about any gluten-free flour you want. The recipe below I made my own all-purpose gluten-free flour mix using two based gluten-free flours of :
- Sorghum Flour
- Millet Flour
You can also make this mix with the two base flours being brown rice flour and oat flour as I have tried that, and it works well.
If you choose to use a store-bought brand, make sure that it has potato starch as the ingredient! All gluten-free flours aren’t created equal, so you want to make sure this ingredient is in there as it’s crucial for vegan, gluten-free baking.
Potato starch acts as an egg in that it lightens the texture of gluten-free baked goods and give them more of an airy texture.
XANTHAM GUM: THE CRUCIAL INGREDIENT
This vegan gluten-free bread calls for Xantham Gum.
What exactly is Xanthan Gum? It is a plant-based thickening and stabilizing agent. It is named for the bacteria, “Xanthomonas campestris,” and has several powerful properties; the most important in baking is that it mimics gluten.
Gluten is what makes dough “doughy “, elastic, and helps hold the bread together. So without gluten, we need a replacement. Xantham Gum is that replacement.
I purchase mine from Whole Foods but have seen it now in local grocery stores and even Walmart! Of course, you can always buy it online on Amazon.
How to Make Gluten Free Dairy free Bread
1. Mix the Ingredients
- Preheat the oven to 200 F.
- Mix the flour, salt, sugar, and yeast in a large bowl
- Mix the water & coconut oil in another bowl
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix. You can use a stand mixer, a hand mixer, or a large spoon. Pour dough into the greased bread pan.
2. Let the Bread Rise & Bake
- Cover the dough with a clean towel. Turn the oven OFF and place the dough inside. Let the dough rise.
- Remove the dough from the oven. Remove the towel from the bread pan. Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Once hot, place the dough in the oven and bake. Cover the bread with foil if it becomes too brown before the inside is fully cooked.
- Spread coconut oil or vegan butter on the top of the fully cooked bread while hot. Let the bread completely cool, slice, and serve.
Eating a gluten-free diet has significant benefits! It turns out you don’t need to have Celiac Disease to have issues with gluten.
Tons of people experience depression when eating a diet containing gluten. Plenty of people who tested negative for Celiac Disease still cut out gluten because they felt so much better without it.
***NOTE: This blog is not intended to replace the advice of a qualified healthcare practitioner. All information contained in this blog is the opinion of Monique and is not to be interpreted as medical advice.
- Vegan Gluten Free Dairy Free Bread
- Harissa Roasted Winter Squash with Mint
- Vegan Kimchi Soup with Vegan Seafood Stock
- Vegan Stuffed Poblano Peppers with Jackfruit Carnitas
- Sunflower Seed Vegan Protein Smoothie
Save the recipe on Pinterest to Make Later!
Join over 20,000 Daytime Vegan Tribe Members on Instagram!
Don’t Know Where To Start On Your Healthy Journey? Download My Free Meal Plan & Healthy Eating Guide!
The BEST Gluten Free Dairy Free Bread
- 3 cups gluten free flour
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil , melt before measuring
- 1 1/2 cups + 2 tablespoons warm water
Gluten Free Flour Mix
- 1 1/2 cups millet flour
- 1 1/2 cups sorghum flour
- 1 cup tapioca flour
- 1 cup potato starch
- 1 cup arrowroot powder
- 1 teaspoon xantham gum
Grease and dust an 8×4 loaf pan with a small spoonful of coconut oil & sprinkle of gluten free flour. Heat oven to 200 degrees F.
Combine gluten free flour, salt, sugar, and dry yeast in a medium sized bowl and whisk together. Set aside.
In mixing bowl, combine the coconut oil and warm water together and then add the dry ingredients. Mix on high for 2 minutes, this activates the yeast. It should resemble a thicker cake batter. You can use a spoon if you don't have an electric mixer.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and cover with a tea towel. Turn OFF the oven and set the covered bread in the warm oven to rise. Carefully shut the oven door.
The bread will take about 30 min. to rise to just below the top of the pan. Take the bread out carefully and set aside. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
Place bread in preheated oven and bake for 1 hour to 1 hour 45 minutes. Tent tinfoil over the bread, if needed, to prevent the crust from darkening too much.
Test the bread with a toothpick. After you’ve removed the bread from the oven, immediately rub the top with coconut oil. Remove loaf from the pan to cool.
- Let cool completely before cutting. This makes a big difference on how well it will slice and stay together.
Gluten Free Flour Mix
Mix everything in a bowl. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator or freezer.
Use store bought gluten free flour to save time, but the recipe works best when using the gluten free flour blend I mention on this recipe card.