I love creamy soups and this recipe is one of my favorites. I use roasted red bell peppers to give it a slightly smokey flavor and pair it with sweet basil which blends so well with tomatoes and peppers. I love eating this soup chilled during the summer months and warming it up on the stove during the fall and winter.
Chilled Red Pepper Tomato Soup with Roasted Pumpkin Seeds: Tomatoes are a rich source of lycopene, a carotenoid found in tomatoes with an antioxidant protective effect on lipid peroxidation. Lipid Peroxidation is the oxidative degradation of lipids. “The process in which free radicals ‘steal’ electrons from the lipids in cell membranes resulting in cell damage”. Studies also show that lycopene is effective in reducing LDL Cholesterol by about 10%, and tomato juice intake could help alleviate menopausal symptoms.
“NUMEROUS SCIENTIFIC STUDIES NOW CONFIRM THAT A WHOLE FOODS DIET COMPRISED PRIMARILY OF VEGETABLES, FRUITS, GRAINS, LEGUMES, AND NUTS WITHOUT ADDED OIL, SUGAR, AND SALT IS OPTIMAL FOR HUMAN HEALTH, NOT ONLY PREVENTING A BROAD RANGE OF DISEASE AND ILLNESSES, BUT ALSO REVERSING SOME OF THE MOST DANGEROUS CHRONIC CONDITIONS. THIS FINDING IS OF THE HIGHEST IMPORTANCE TO THE COMMONWEALTH BECAUSE IT COMMUNICATES A TRUTH THAT HAS THE POWER TO SAVE LIVES.”
- 2 vine ripe tomatoes
- 1 cup roasted bell peppers
- 3 garlic cloves
- 3 basil leaves
- juice of 2 lemons
- 1 cup vegetable stock or filtered water
- ½ cup plain cashew milk homemade recipe on my website or store-bought
- 2 teaspoons agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup roasted pumpkin seeds
- Blend everything, except the pumpkin seeds, together in a blender until smooth. Let the soup chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes to an hour. This will also give the ingredients time to combine a little more for an even better taste.
- Pour the chilled soup in your bowl and garnish with some of the pumpkin seeds. I always eat my soup with a simple veggie sandwich.
I like to eat this soup chilled, but you could easily warm in up on the stove for a few minutes.