There are numerous vegan air fryer recipes that you could try out in the comfort of your home. However, one exceptional recipe is my Crispy Air Fried Cauliflower Steaks with White Peppercorn Gravy. This vegan air fryer recipe is quite easy to make and can be prepared quickly.
Click “Jump To Recipe” (directly below the title of this post) to skip the blog post and go directly to the recipe! You’ll miss out on helpful tips for this recipe though.
Benefits of an Air Fryer
The air fryer is not necessarily a new kitchen equipment but it has proven to be quite useful especially for people who want to eat meals that contain less oil. This kitchen appliance is helpful in creating amazing vegan recipes and is better than a deep fryer in a number of ways.
Using an air fryer rather than a deep fryer is more economical because it uses less oil. With a deep fryer, you may have to use a huge amount of oil to submerge your foods and fry them. However, with an air fryer you may just need a tablespoon or no oil at all and the appliance will do the rest. If you have health conditions or you want to have a healthier diet, then the air fryer is a great option for you. Due to the fact that it requires less oil, you can ensure that your meals do not contain a high level of fat or cholesterol.
Also, the air fryer is quite versatile. While deep fryers are strictly for frying foods, air fryers can be used for many methods of cooking. With the right accessories, you can grill, roast or even bake your foods using the air fryer.
How to bread food without gluten: Gluten-free breadcrumbs
Breadcrumbs are a very essential ingredient for creating many vegan and non-vegan recipes. However, most breads out there contain many additives and gluten and if you are gluten-free, this poses a huge problem. If you want to stay gluten-free, there are ways to get past this hurdle.
If your recipe is one that requires coating with bread crumbs, you could create a substitute with natural ingredients in order to ensure that your meal is completely gluten-free.
You can make your own gluten-free bread crumbs using nuts and seeds. I like to use hemp seeds and pepitas (pumpkin seeds) as my gluten free alternative. These seeds are a great choice for making bread crumbs because, in my opinion, they don’t have strong flavors that will overpower the food you’re breading. Just place them in a food processor and blend until they become a fine breadcrumb texture. Then, mix them with some herbs and seasonings and voila! You have your own homemade gluten-free breadcrumbs.
What is Mushroom Seasoning?
I used mushroom seasoning in the white gravy for this recipe. Mushroom seasoning is the new rave when it comes to creating amazing vegan recipes. It is a unique blend of mushrooms and sometimes has additional herbs and spices added. Mushroom seasoning can be used in stews, soups, rice, and so many other recipes or simply as a sprinkling on your vegetables. It gives your meals a distinctive taste and flavor and equally gives your immune system a boost.
Mushroom seasoning comes in different blends and is usually used by vegans as an alternative to chicken seasoning in their stews and recipes and it does not contain Monosodium Glutamate or any unhealthy additives as most other seasonings do.
You can usually get mushroom seasoning from your local Asian supermarket. If you want to create your own unique blend or flavor, you could make your very own mushroom seasoning. It is quite easy to make and you can use any mushroom of your choice; however, the most commonly used mushrooms are porcini mushrooms. To make your own mushroom seasoning, you would need about 3 tablespoons each of ground porcini mushrooms and dried morel mushrooms. You would also need a little salt and thyme, or any herb you prefer. Mix the ingredients together and place in a food processor. Pulse until you have a finely ground mixture and then store in an airtight container. Now you have your very own mushroom seasoning which you can use to add a distinctive flavor to your meals.
Gluten Free Breading Process | How To Bread
Cauliflower has a number of health benefits including aiding digestion due to the high fiber content, lessening the risk of heart diseases and circulatory system issues, and it contains an adequate amount of Vitamin K.
Hemp seeds are also essential ingredients that should be included in your daily diet. They are a natural source of protein and contain a number of important nutrients.
Pumpkin seeds are edible seeds of pumpkins with a high nutritional value and can be included in your meals. Pumpkin seeds contains a high amount of magnesium and have been shown to possibly improve the condition of your prostate and bladder.
- Home Fries with Sausage, Peppers, and Chipotle Cream
- Crispy Cauliflower Steaks with White Peppercorn Gravy | Air Fryer Recipe
- Pasta with Vegetables & Cream Cheese Marinara
- Fudge Brownie Homemade Dark Chocolate Cake
- White Rice vs Brown Rice
Save the recipe on Pinterest to Make Later!
Join over 20,000 Daytime Vegan Tribe Members on Instagram!
Don’t Know Where To Start On Your Healthy Journey? Download My Free Meal Plan & Healthy Eating Guide!
- 1 whole cauliflower cut into steaks
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon granulated garlic or garlic powder, divided
- 1 tablespoon granulated onion or onion powder, divided
- 1/2 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon lemon pepper divided
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup raw unsalted pepitas, (a.k.a pumpkin seeds)
- 1 cup hemp seeds
- olive oil spray
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 vegetable bouillon cube
- 1/2 tablespoon mushroom seasoning, optional
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 ounces mushrooms, any type you want, sliced
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons cracked black peppercorns
- Cut the cauliflower into Steaks. Watch my Harissa Roasted Cauliflower Steaks recipe video to learn how to cut the steaks. You should get 2 – 3 steaks per cauliflower, depending on the size. You can use the small florets that fall off the cauliflower as well; don’t discard them.
- Blend the cashews, water, 1/2 tablespoon each of granulated garlic, granulated onion, smoked paprika, and lemon pepper, with salt to taste, until smooth.
- Pour this mixture into a shallow baking dish.
- In a food processor, blend the pumpkin seeds and hemp seeds for about 10 seconds until the pumpkin seeds are finely ground. Pour this mixture onto a plate or shallow baking dish and season with 1 teaspoon smoked paprika, salt to taste, and 1/2 a tablespoon each of granulated garlic, granulated onion, and lemon pepper.
- Have a large plate or baking pan available to place the cauliflower steaks on.
- Dip the steaks into the cashew mixture making sure it is evenly coated, then the pumpkin seed and hemp seed mixture, making sure it is evenly coated. Place the coated steaks on the baking pan and repeat this step until all of the cauliflower steaks are coated. It’s fine if the steaks fall apart, just coat the small or broken pieces the same way.
- Spray the steaks with a little olive oil spray. Place the coated steaks in the air fryer basket, making sure not to overcrowd the basket. You might have to do this in batches, depending on the size of your air fryer. I can fit 2 steaks in at a time.
- Place the air fryer temperature on 360 and the timer in 20 minutes. Start the air fryer and cook. It should beep when the time is up (read the instructions to learn how to use your specific air fryer).
Carefully remove the basket and remove the steaks from the basket when done and repeat as many times as necessary to cook all of your steaks. You might have to cook them for 2-3 more minutes if your steaks are very thick.
- While the steaks are cooking, blend the cashews, water, bouillon cube, and mushroom seasoning in a blender until smooth.
Place a large pan in medium heat. Once hot, add the olive oil, mushrooms, onions, and peppercorns. Cook for about 8-10 minutes, or until the mushrooms and onions have softened.
- Pour in the cashew milk mixture and bring to a simmer. Once simmering, reduce the heat to low, cover with a lid, and let simmer for 5 minutes. Turn off the heat. Add a little water if the gravy is thicker than you’d like.
- To serve, place the crispy cauliflower steaks on your plate and spoon over some of the gravy.