Health Benefits of This Smoothie
My Blueberry Oatmeal Smoothie might help lower cholesterol due to the oat beta glucans. Beta glucans are sugars that are found in the cell walls of bacteria, fungi, yeasts, algae, lichens, and plants, such as oats and barley. They are sometimes used as medicine. Daily doses of at least 3 grams may reduce plasma total and LDL cholesterol levels by 5-10%, respectively. Such intakes can be achieved by consuming 2-4 portions daily of oat-based products. Here is another article on oat beta glucan.
Blueberry Oatmeal Smoothie
- 2 cups frozen blueberries
- 1/2 cup oatmeal, not the instant oatmeal
- 2 bananas
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice, or cinnamon
- 4 - 7 medjool or california dates, depending on how sweet you want it
- 2 cups plain or vanilla almond milk
Blend everything together until smooth. Add water to adjust the sweetness and consistency, if desired.