01 May Blackberry Pineapple Cake | Vegan and Gluten Free
“NUMEROUS SCIENTIFIC STUDIES NOW CONFIRM THAT A WHOLE FOODS DIET COMPRISED PRIMARILY OF VEGETABLES, FRUITS, GRAINS, LEGUMES, AND NUTS WITHOUT ADDED OIL, SUGAR, AND SALT IS OPTIMAL FOR HUMAN HEALTH, NOT ONLY PREVENTING A BROAD RANGE OF DISEASE AND ILLNESSES, BUT ALSO REVERSING SOME OF THE MOST DANGEROUS CHRONIC CONDITIONS. THIS FINDING IS OF THE HIGHEST IMPORTANCE TO THE COMMONWEALTH BECAUSE IT COMMUNICATES A TRUTH THAT HAS THE POWER TO SAVE LIVES.”
Blackberry Pineapple Cake
Baking really is a science, especially when you get into vegan and gluten free baking. I made this cake twice and both times it came out perfect, moist, and AMAZING. Twice! This was the second vegan, gluten free, cake I had baked that came out nicely (my Fudge Brownie Cupcakes also turned out wonderfully!), so I figured I had this vegan, gluten free, baking thing down! Since I was now an expert master baker, I decided to experiment by adapting this recipe a little and making this cake with other gluten free flours. Not only did I decide to experiment with the recipe, but I decided to do it during a time when my friend asked me to bake her a cake for a dessert competition her friend was having. Not a good idea.
Katrina, if you are reading this…I WARNED you that I was not a baker! There is a difference between a culinary chef and a pastry chef!
What Not To Do When Making This Recipe!
The cake was a disaster! We couldn’t find the almond flour so I decided to use a bag of gluten free flour. I mean, gluten free is gluten free, right?!!
All gluten free flours are NOT created equal and I had to learn this the hard way. The cake literally could have been used as a brick to build a very sturdy wall. That cake would have kept the wall or building up all by itself! It was dry, extremely dense, flavorless….just horrible.
So please, readers….follow this recipe EXACTLY, unless you are an experienced vegan and gluten free baker. You have been warned!
What If I Can’t Find Blackberries?
You can use pretty much any fruit you want and can even make this into little cupcakes, but don’t adapt the recipe too much. When cooked correctly, this cake is moist and so flavorful. The almonds give it a toasted flavor that goes ridiculously well with the sweet pineapple.
This cake is perfect for anytime of the year, but is especially wonderful as simple dessert on a nice spring/summer evening.
Give it a try and enjoy!
Join over 20,000 Daytime Vegan Tribe Members on Instagram!
This post may includes affiliate links!
Products I Used In This Recipe
(ad blocking might prevent you from viewing the products)
An easy cake recipe that is delicious and healthy!
- 4 cups almond flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup coconut oil
- ½ cup maple syrup
- juice of 2 lemons
- 2 flax eggs 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds mixed with 5 tablespoons water
- 1 cup pineapple chunks fresh or frozen (thawed)
- 1 pint blackberries
- 1 cup assorted fruit for garnishment optional
- Preheat oven to 350F. Use a little coconut oil to grease your 8 inch cake pan. Make sure your flax egg is already mixed and ready.
- In a large bowl, mix the almond flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Add the coconut oil, maple syrup, lemon juice, and flax eggs. Mix. Add the pineapple and blackberries. Mix throroughly.
- The mixture might seem too thick and you will feel the urge to add more liquid, but don't do this. Use the pictures in this blog post to reference how thick it looks when it's in the cake pan.
- Place the cake mixture into the cake pan.
- Bake for about 45-55 minutes, or until lightly browned on the outside and baked all way through. Check the cake every 15 minutes or so and cover the cake with tinfoil if it looks like it's getting burned.
- Remove from oven and let cool for at least 30 minutes.
- Garnish the cake with an assortment of fresh fruit if you'd like. Enjoy.
Do NOT use gluten free flour in place of almond flour. I tried this and the recipe did not work well. It was a hard disgusting brick! Use almond flour!!