This crispy Fried Falafel Sandwich is quicker to make than the traditional falafel recipe! Thanks to my secret drying method, you will have that crumbly texture in a fraction of the time! Topped with homemade Garlic Lemon Cream Sauce makes for an even flavorful sandwich!
CLICK “JUMP TO RECIPE” (DIRECTLY BELOW THE TITLE OF THIS POST) TO SKIP THE BLOG POST AND GO DIRECTLY TO THE RECIPE! YOU’LL MISS OUT ON HELPFUL TIPS FOR THIS RECIPE THOUGH.
Fried falafel is a natural plant-based dish, and with some little tweaks, it’s easily made vegan. With my secret drying method, you can get a very similar taste of fried falafel without having to grind dried chickpeas!
Let me show you how it’s done, but first, you might be wondering….
…WHAT IS FALAFEL?
Falafel (say that five times fast I dare you lol), is popular street food in the Middle East. It’s widely believed to be a dish invented in Egypt about 1,000 years ago.
Falafel is deep-fried balls traditionally made from ground dried chickpeas. It’s seasoned with traditional Middle Eastern spices like cumin and coriander.
CAN VS DRIED CHICKPEAS (GARBANZO BEANS)
Traditionally this dish is made with unboiled, soaked dried chickpeas (also known as garbanzo beans) and then ground with a coffee grinder until it forms a crumbly mixture.
To make this fried falafel recipe quicker, I used canned chickpeas. Canned beans, in general, are something most of us have in our cabinet, and it is super convenient.
So how will you get the same texture using canned beans? My secret method is to bake the chickpeas in the oven for about 15 to 20 minutes at 350 F to dry them out. That helps tremendously with the consistency.
IS A FRIED FALAFEL SANDWICH HEALTHY?
I would never suggest that fried food is healthy, BUT it’s a healthier option than other fried foods. Chickpeas are a great source of fiber, plant-based protein, as well as complex carbohydrates.
To make this healthier, you can always try air frying it. I have not tested this method with this recipe, but I have air-fried Crispy Cauliflower Steaks and it was crispy and delicious!
You can also bake your falafels. I did this in the original version of this recipe, and it’s delicious tho it won’t be as crispy.
Also, it can be made healthy, depending on how you serve it. For this fried falafel sandwich, I topped it with my Garlic Lemon Sauce which is made with a based of healthy creamy cashews!
HOW TO MAKE FRIED FALAFEL SANDWICH
1. Bake the Canned Chickpeas
- Bake canned chickpeas at 375 degrees F for 15 – 20 minutes. This process helps dry the chickpeas a little to avoid super soggy falafel.
- Place onion, garlic, parsley, and cilantro in the food processor and process until the onion is finely chopped.
- Add chickpeas and process until the chickpeas are small grains.
- Add the seasonings and process.
2. Form the Patties & Pan Fry
- Use a ½ cup measuring cup to form patties. You can oil the measuring cup to help with sticking.
- Pan-fry both sides until brown.
- This is what the inside should look like.
3. Make the Sauce
- Blend cashews, onion garlic, lemon juice, water, and salt until smooth.
- Add cilantro and green onion. Pulse for a few seconds until specs of green are throughout the sauce.
- This is what the sauce should look like.
Assemble the cooked falafel patties on buns with sauce and desired toppings and serve!
As mentioned above, chickpeas (garbanzo beans) are complex carbohydrates meaning that your body slowly digests these carbs over time preventing highs and lows from energy spikes you get with simple sugars.
Chickpeas are also a great source of plant-based protein. One cup of chickpeas contains about 15 grams per protein PLUS you get the added benefit of fiber!
***NOTE: This blog is not intended to replace the advice of a qualified healthcare practitioner. All information contained in this blog is the opinion of Monique and is not to be interpreted as medical advice.
- Vegan Wrap Recipe with Jerk Spiced Veggies
- Korean Rice Cake Stir Fry
- Fried Falafel Sandwich with Garlic-Lemon Sauce
- Super Moist Gluten Free Chocolate Cupcakes & Cake
- Vegan Gluten Free Dairy Free Bread
Save the recipe on Pinterest to Make Later!
Join over 20,000 Daytime Vegan Tribe Members on Instagram!
Don’t Know Where To Start On Your Healthy Journey? Download My Free Meal Plan & Healthy Eating Guide!
Fried Falafel Sandwich with Garlic-Lemon Sauce
- 2 cups garbanzo beans or chickpeas
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup parsley
- ½ cup cilantro
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic or garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons chickpea flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, more if necessary
- burger buns
- 2 tomatoes , sliced
- 1 onion , sliced
Garlic Lemon Sauce
- 1 cup cashews
- ¼ cup red onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup water
- salt to taste
- 1 sprig green onion
- 1/4 cup cilantro
Preheat the oven to 350F. Lightly oil a baking sheet with 1 tablespoon olive oil.
To make the patties, place the canned chickpeas on a baking sheet and bake for 10 – 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside.
Place the onion, garlic, parsley, cilantro, baking powder, and seasonings in a food processor of process until everything is chopped small.
Add the chickpeas and process until the chickpeas are finely chopped.
Add the chickpea flour and pulse a few times until it is thoroughly mixed
Use a 1/2 cup measuring cup to make the patties. Place a pan on medium heat. One hot, pan fry the patties until they are golden brown on each side (about 3-5 minutes per side).
Assemble the sandwiches with the falafel patties, toppings, and lemon garlic sauce.
Lemon Garlic Sauce
Blend the first 6 ingredients until smooth.
Add the green onion and cilantro and pulse until specs of green are throughout the sauce.
If you use dried chickpeas, then skip the oven drying step.