This Andouille Spiced Roasted Chickpea Sandwich is one of my favorite sandwiches to eat. I used many of the spices that are used in Spicy Andouille Sausage. Garlic, fennel, and smoked paprika for that smokey taste. It’s delicious and hearty!
Using good bread is key for making amazing sandwiches, so make sure you use a good quality loaf. I bought some freshly baked multigrain bread from my farmers market which completely elevated the taste. Give this recipe a try!
Do you like chickpeas? What’s your favorite way to eat them? I love using chickpeas in Indian spiced curries ❤ ❤ !!
Health Benefits Of This Meal:
Andouille Spiced Chickpea Sandwich: Chickpeas have been shown to help balance unhealthy cholesterol levels, to reduce hypertension, and to protect against heart disease in multiple ways.
***NOTE: This blog is not intended to replace the advice of a qualified healthcare practitioner. All information contained in this blog is the opinion of Monique and is not to be interpreted as medical advice
- 2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- salt to taste
- 2 cups freshly cooked chickpeas or canned (drained and rinsed)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- bread slices
- ½ cup vegan mayonnaise my recipe or store-bought
- sliced tomatoes
- a few romain lettuce leaves
- a few slices red onion
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a mixing bowl add the fennel, garlic powder, smoked paprika, onion powder, italian seasoning, salt, chickpeas, and olive oil. Mix well and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes and remove from the oven.
- To assemble, add your desired amount of vegan mayo to the bread slices. I like to add the romaine lettuce next. I make the romaine lettuce leaf face up (the curve goes up kind of like a little lettuce cup). This allows me to add the chickpeas next so the lettuce can hold them in and the chickpeas won't fall out as much. This ensures the sandwich will be a little less messy.
- Top with tomato and onion and the other slice of bread. Enjoy.