26 Dec Weekend Pantry Recipe: Quick Homemade Marinara Sauce
“Pantry Items ” is a term used for staple cooking ingredients. Staple ingredients vary from cook to cook, kitchen to kitchen. The list can include olive oil, garlic, onion, lemons, parsley, you know…..things you always have in your kitchen. My list of staple items is a little different and it is a HUGE list! My pantry items include homemade pasta sauce, cashew milk, vegan cheese, vegan mayonnaise, pico de gallo, and tons more. I use these ingredients nearly every week in a recipe. My Weekend Pantry posts will show you how to make all of my staple ingredients from scratch. You can then use these ingredients in my other recipes. You can use the homemade vegan mayonnaise to make my Portobello Mushroom Sandwich with Basil-Dijon Mayo even healthier because you won’t be using store-bought processed mayo. You can use homemade vegan milk in my Mixed Berry Smoothie Recipe. Use homemade Pico De Gallo in my Chicken and Vegetable Tacos. Okay, I think you get the gist! Now for today’s Weekend Pantry Recipe.
This is the best quick marinara sauce recipe you’ll find. Why you ask?
- It’s healthy
- It’s fat free as long as you don’t use sundried tomatoes packed in oil (for those of you who like to count calories). Definitely not me!
- The entire sauce is made in a blender. YAAAAS!!! I love blender recipes. No chopping, no sautéing, no simmering. Eazy Peezy 🙂
This sauce can be used for pasta, dipping your cheese sticks and other goodies in, pour some on your zucchini noodles, it’s just super versatile.
The base of this sauce is a mixture of sundried tomatoes and fresh tomatoes. I find that if I only use fresh tomatoes it tastes….too…..I don’t know. Just too “raw fresh tomatoey”, you know?! The sundried tomatoes help give it more of a cooked taste, as if it simmered on a stove for a while to cook out the raw tomato taste.
You will also notice that this marinara sauce is not super red like store-bought jars. It’ more reddish-orange. I don’t really know why. Haha. Either way it tastes great.
Alrighty, here’s the recipe!
FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, OR YOUTUBE FOR MORE AWESOME RECIPES!!
WATCH THIS COOKING VIDEO TO SEE EXACTLY HOW TO MAKE THIS HOMEMADE MARINARA SAUCE!!
- ¾ cup sundried tomatoes
- 3 roma tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 red bell pepper, roughly chopped
- 4 dates, pitted (optional)
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup water, filtered if possible
- salt to taste
- Place everything in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
- Pour in a container and refrigerate. It should last up to 5 days.