21 Apr Vanilla Cream Pie with Pecan Crust | I Suck At Making Desserts Series!
My life is so busy right now! I’m trying to start a new business as well as keep up with this blog all while working a 9 – 5 job and I am EXHAUSTED. Soooo, I’m not going to write much. I’ll just say that these Vanilla Cream Pies with Pecan Crust are amazing. Not amazing for a Vegan, Gluten Free, Soy Free dessert. You know how people will say “This is good for a healthy dessert”.
I mean these are amazing for ANY dessert. I’ve had plenty of creamy desserts make with milk and cream and these vegan cream pies can stand up to those desserts any day.
One key ingredient in this dessert is Agar Agar. It’s made from seaweed (I believe) but it has absolutely no flavor. Agar Agar is the vegan version of gelatin. The recipe will not work without it, but it’s pretty easy to find. I ALWAYS find it at Asian grocery stores. Just ask an employee and they should know exactly what it is. Don’t buy it from Health Food Stores if you don’t have to. They charge a gazillion times more than the Asian grocery stores.
Okay, I’m done. I have a million things to do right now. And it’s 1am. 😩 😩 😩 .
I hope you give it a try.
Learn Why I started the “I Suck at Making Desserts” series HERE!
- Pecan Crust:
- 1 cup pitted california dates
- 1 cup pecans
- Vanilla Cream Filling:
- 2 cups cashews
- 3 cups filtered water
- 8 – 10 pitted californiia dates
- 2 whole vanilla beans
- a pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons agar agar powder + ¾ cups filtered water
- paper muffin liners
- cupcake pan
- Prepare the muffin liners in the cupcake pan.
- To make the crust, place the pecans and dates in a food processor. Pulse the processor every few seconds until the dates and pecans form a crumbly mixture. You should be able to grab some of this pecan mixture in your hand, squeeze it, and it should hold its shape. Press about 2 tablespoons or so of this pecan crust into the botton of each muffin liner. Set aside.
- Place the cashews, 3 cups water, dates, vanilla beans, and salt in a blender and blend until completely smooth. Leave this mixuture in the blender for now.
- Place a small non-stick pot on medium heat. Add the ¾ cup of water and agar agar. Stir constantly for 5 minutes. Do not stop stirring. This mixture will thicken as you cook it. Agar Agar works like gelatin to thicken the cream mixture and cooking activates its thickening properties.
- After 5 minutes pour the agar agar mixture into the blender with the cream and blend for about 10 – 15 seconds, or until the agar agar is fully incorporated. The cream mixture will thicken immediately once you start blending and your blender might have a little trouble, but make sure the agar agar is evenly distributed.
- Quickly pour the vanilla cream mixture into the muffin liners, on top of the pecan crust. The cream will start to thicken fast, so don't take too long to complete this step.
- If you'd like, you can top these vanilla cream pies with a few chopped pecans and a drizzle of vegan chocolate sauce, but these will still taste delicious if you skip this step.
- Cover with plastic wrap and place the mini vanilla cream pies in the refrigerator for about an hour, or until they are completely firm. Enjoy!