07 Dec Strawberry Banana Cream Smoothie, Romaine Salad with Jalapeno Cilantro Dressing, Pasta with Smoked Sausage & Peppers
Has anything that started with the words “Strawberry Banana Cream” ever tasted bad? I think not! Sooooo, I shouldn’t have to convince you too much to try this smoothie recipe. It has become a new favorite of mine. Strawberries and bananas is a classic combination and will always taste great no matter what.
But the secret weapon to this great tasting smoothie is not just the bananas and strawberries. It’s the cream. Well, it’s actually homemade vegan cashew milk. Cashew milk is so easy to make and I think it makes a world of difference in recipes, as opposed to the store-bought stuff.
The cashew milk is what makes this smoothie irresistibly creamy. It also tones down the sweetness, which for me is great because I don’t tolerate super sweet smoothies very well.
Oh salads, how I have a love-hate relationship with you. I am not embarrassed to say that I am a healthy eater who has NEVER liked salads. That is, until I discovered salads that do not include lettuce.
What?!? How does a salad not include lettuce?
I’m talking about vegetable type salads. You know, like a tomato salad, cucumber salad, or artichoke salad, or my Chickpea Salad with Curry Ginger Dressing. These are more hearty and savory to me, which is why I prefer them. I could eat vegetable salads every day! A lot of people put themselves on some sort of “healthy eating pedestal” because they love to eat huge salads with tons of lettuce everyday.
Well guess what?!? I don’t prefer lettuce salads and there’s nothing wrong with that. I’m still a healthy eater.
Buuuut, just because I’m not a fan of lettuce salads doesn’t mean I’m not going to include salad recipes for my awesome readers! Besides, the star here is the homemade Jalapeno Cilantro Dressing. I put this dressing on my Tomato & Zucchini Salad all the time and it’s great. This dressing can be put on ANYTHING!!
Now before I tell you how awesome this Pasta with Smoked Sausage and Peppers is, I would first like to tell you that WHO (World Health Organization) finally labeled certain types of meat as a NUMBER 1 CAUSE OF CANCER.
That’s right. IT CAUSES CANCER. The main meats they’re talking about are processed meats like lunch meat, hot dogs, and you guessed it……Sausages. They put processed meat on the same level as cigarettes and asbestos as a carcinogen.
I for one do not eat those sausages that sit in the grocery store for ages with tons of preservatives. The one’s I used in this recipe are organic handmade from a farmers market, so they are not too bad since they don’t have all of the preservatives and other crap in them.
I actually rarely eat animal products at all. GASP!
I may (and that’s a big MAY) eat some clams, mussels, or calamari for dinner once every few months.
Why you ask?
After eating Daytime Vegan for so long, I really started naturally craving vegetables over meat.
That’s all there is to it.
I tell people all the time that eating BARELY VEGAN will gradually increase their love for veggies, fruits, grains, nuts, and seeds! I love my plant foods! It got to a point where I was just putting side dishes on my dinner plate…..so that was that! OBVIOUSLY I don’t think everyone needs to eat a 100% plant-based diet, otherwise I wouldn’t be telling the world howamazing eating Daytime Vegan is. Everyone should eat what makes them healthy and feel the best. But I really do think the majority of what we consume should be whole plant foods. And we FOR SURE shouldn’t be eating this processed meat crap. After WHO’s announcement, hopefully I shouldn’t have to convince you any further. Eating practically 95% plant-based is just a personal preference for me at the moment.
So what do you do with the meat you cook for this website?!? Good question.
My husband and I give it to the stray cats in our neighborhood. We have about 15 to 20 hungry stray cats always roaming around and I figure they could definitely use it. They eat much worse anyways, if they eat at all.
Soooo, this pasta dish is pretty awesome and tasty. But this website is about health and healing our bodies. I made this recipe and video long before WHO’s announcement and I would not feel right telling you to eat a pasta dish with smoked sausage without giving you the facts first.
I suggest you make this recipe by following all of the instructions, EXCEPT, use 2 boneless pieces of diced chicken instead (for a 2 person serving). If you are able, purchase organic chicken. I promise this dish will still taste great without the smoked cancer sausages.
Alrighty, here are the recipes. ENJOY!
WATCH THIS COOKING VIDEO TO SEE EXACTLY HOW TO MAKE THESE MEALS!!
FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, OR YOUTUBE FOR MORE AWESOME RECIPES!!
- 3 bananas
- 2 cups frozen strawberries, or fresh
- 1 ½ cups cashew milk, or other vegan milk
- Blend everything together until smooth. Add water to adjust the sweetness and consistency, if desired.
- 1 cup cashews
- 1 zucchini, peeled, roughly chopped
- juice of 2 lemons
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ of an onion, or about ¼ cup
- ½ cup water, filtered if possible
- ½ cup cilantro
- 1 tablespoon jarred jalapeños, or more if you'd like
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cups romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 cup corn, fresh or frozen (thawed)
- 1 – 2 tomatoes, diced
- Blend the first 7 ingredients until smooth. Add the cilantro, jalapeños, salt, and pepper. Blend for 1 to 2 seconds, so there are specs of green throughout the sauce.
- To assemble, place your desired amount of lettuce in your bowl. Top with corn, tomatoes, and some of the Jalapeño Cilantro Dressing.
- 1 pound cooked pasta, any type you like
- ½ link of smoked sausage (OR 2 BONELESS DICED CHICKEN BREASTS/THIGHS. READ BLOG POST.)
- 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil
- 2 green bell peppers, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 ½ teaspoons lemon pepper
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 cups plain tomato sauce
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- ¼ cup green onions, chopped
- 1 tomato, diced
- Place a pot or large pan on medium heat. Add the oil and cook the sausages or chicken for about 5 minutes. Add a little salt and pepper if using chicken.
- Add the bell peppers, onion, and garlic and cook for another 5 minutes. Season with the italian seasoning, garlic powder, smoked paprika, lemon pepper, fennel seeds, salt, and pepper. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce and vegetable stock. Simmer the sauce for 10 minutes to allow all of the flavors to come together.
- Add the green onions and tomatoes. Stir. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper if needed.
- SUGGESTED SIDE: Salad.