26 Jan Mango Strawberry Lemon Smoothie, BBQ Cole Slaw Sandwich with Jalapenos, Crispy Chicken with Garlic Creamed Spinach Sauce
This Strawberry, Mango, Lemon Smoothie is a great replacement for juice! You know, Hawaiian Punch, Hi-C, and those other unhealthy sugary drinks. Not because this smoothie is super sweet….because it’s not. It has a nice sweet balance with the pitted dates I used. I drank some when I was eating this BBQ Cole Slaw Sandwich with Jalapenos and it was the perfect combination. When I was a child I loved having sugary juice boxes with my lunch…..and this smoothie with that sandwich reminded me of my childhood sandwich and juice lunch……except MUCH healthier!
Yes, yes, yes….I know. It’s not summertime for most of my readers.
So Monique, “Why in the world are you giving us a recipe including BBQ Sauce and Cole Slaw??? Isn’t that against the law, or something?”.
I’m not much of a rule follower. I actually don’t like rules at all…buuuuut, I know they are needed…..at times 🙂
One thing I have NEVER understood is why I should let someone tell me when I can eat a certain dish, or type of food.
For example, turkey. When I was a child I never understood why we couldn’t have a whole roasted turkey any time of the year except Thanksgiving and Christmas. Dressing, Cranberry Sauce, and Green Bean Casserole too. If I would’ve asked for Turkey in April my parents probably would have looked at me like I was speaking another language. But, why? I love these dishes ALL THE TIME, not just twice a year!
BBQ foods are another one. Breaking out the grill on a sunny day in December is unheard of. Even in areas of the country where it does not get that cold, like where I currently live. I….I just don’t understand!
So everyone, let’s break the rules together! This January…..try this BBQ Cole Slaw Sandwich with Jalapenos. I promise, it’s not against the law. You won’t get arrested. 😉
Crispy, Creamy, Savory, Crunchy, Tender……yes, this Crispy Chicken with Garlic Creamed Spinach Sauce hits all the marks. And who doesn’t love a clever way to get vegetables into your loved ones?! Tell a child he/she will be having Chicken with spinach for dinner and they may consider running away from home!
Give them tender, crsipy, chicken with this delicious creamy sauce (no need to tell them it’s a spinach sauce 😉 ) and they will devour it! You can use my Homemade Cashew Milk or Cashew Cream in this dish if you don’t want to use regular cream.
Please give it a try!
FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, OR YOUTUBE FOR MORE AWESOME RECIPES!!
WATCH THIS COOKING VIDEO TO SEE EXACTLY HOW TO MAKE THESE MEALS!!
- 2 cups frozen strawberries
- 2 cups frozen mango
- juice of 1 lemon
- 3 dates, pitted
- 2 cups water, filtered if possible
- Blend everything together until smooth. Add water to adjust the sweetness and consistency, if desired.
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- ½ cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- sliced ciabatta loaf or sandwich buns
- 1 cup BBQ Sauce, (make sure it's vegan or use my homemade recipe)
- sliced jarred jalapenos
- Place the cabbage and carrots in a large bowl. Set aside. In a small bowl, mix the mayonnaise, mustard, vinegar, agave, hot sauce, salt, and pepper. Pour this sauce over the cabbage and carrots and mix until it is well-incorporated.
- Spread your desired amount of BBQ Sauce on the sandiwch. Add some of the cole slaw and a few jalapenos, depending on your taste.
- 4 boneless chicken thighs or breasts
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup panko breadcrumb
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup + 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 5 – 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups frozen spinach, fully thawed and squeeze out some of the liquid
- 2 cups half and half
- juice of 1 lemon
- Set aside a baking sheet and plate. Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Place the milk in a shallow bowl and the breadcrumbs in another shallow bowl. Season both generously with salt and pepper.
- Place the chicken in the milk, making sure to coat both sides. Next place it in the breadcrumbs and coat both sides. Place the chicken on a plate until all of the pieces are coated.
- Heat a pan on medium heat. When the pan is hot, add ¼ cup of oil. Add the breaded chicken and brown both sides, approximately 3 – 5 minutes per side. Once browned, place them on the baking pan.
- Bake the chicken in the oven for 10 – 20 minutes, depending on the thickness, until fully cooked. Remove from the oven and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, heat a pan on medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon of oil, onion, and garlic. Cook for about 5 minutes, until the onions are soft. Add the italian seasoning, mustard powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Stir. Add a little more oil if the pan becomes dry.
- Add the spinach and stir. Add the half and half and lemon juice. Stir. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper if needed. Cook the sauce for about 5 minutes, until the flavors have come together a little more.
- Place the creamed spinach in a blender and pulse it 3 – 5 times, or until it becomes a chunky sauce.
- To serve, place the chicken on a plate and top it with some of the creamed spinach sauce.
- Suggested Sides: Dinner Rolls and Asparagus