01 Mar Low On Vitamin K? Eat This Lemon Pepper Roasted Broccoli with Dijon Aioli!
Daytime Vegan Healthy Meal Plan #14
Breakfast: Strawberry Prune Smoothie
Lunch: Lemon Pepper Roasted Broccoli with Dijon Aioli
Dinner: Garlicky Cajun Shrimp
***I discuss constipation in this post, so skip it if the topic grosses you out!***
If you made it this far down the post then I want to thank you!! I figured as soon as people saw the Strawberry Prune Smoothie on the meal plan they would go running for the hills!!
But you brave souls didn’t run. And you’ll be happy you stayed!
I made this smoothie a few weeks ago for the first time. I had been having some tummy troubles for a little while and was unable to use the restroom (sorry if that’s tmi). My husband, who you may start to notice always has great ideas for natural remedies, suggested I drink some prune juice to get things moving in that area, if you know what I mean. **wink.
I said, “Ewwwww, NO WAY” and left it at that. But a couple days, and one huge bloated stomach, later I gave in.
“Okay, I’ll try the darn prune juice.”
So he gets it for me and I decided to add it to my morning smoothies because I just don’t like the taste of prune juice by itself. He made sure it was 100% pure prune juice with nothing else added. No sugar. Nothing. I put about a cup in my smoothie and drank it throughout my morning.
But a few days later after drinking it every morning, I started to feel something. “Could it be? Am I FINALLY going to use the restroom?”, I ask myself. YES!! Woohoo. Life has meaning again!! I was sooo happy. I had always heard about prune juice helping with constipation when I was a kid, but I never tried it. I must say….it really works. It takes a while, and may take longer for others, but it really does help.
So now this is my new favorite smoothie. I usually drink the same green smoothie everyday for breakfast, so I have been drinking this one every single day. It’s especially great for those of us with endometriosis who have constant issues with bloated bellies.
Having trouble using the restroom? Give this a try.
Afterwards eat some of this Lemon Pepper Roasted Broccoli with Dijon Aioli. Broccoli is one of my most favorite vegetables to roast. Once you roast broccoli there’s no going back. I rarely sauté or steam broccoli anymore because roasting it tastes so darn good. I literally eat an entire head of broccoli when I roast it.
Broccoli is packed with Vitamin K. A lot of people think that calcium is what’s most important with bone health, but no one talks about vitamin k for some reason. Vitamin K is what helps improve calcium absorption. You can drink all the milk and take all the calcium tablets you want, but if your body can’t absorb it then what’s the point?
If you aren’t too keen on broccoli, try roasting it. I bet some of you haven’t tried it this way before. It will change everything you think about this vegetable. Golden brown and crunchy on the outside, but still tender on the inside. Give it a try.
This Lemon Pepper Roasted Broccoli would also be a great side dish for my Garlicky Cajun Shrimp. This shrimp recipe is a fan favorite in my Daytime Vegan Cookbook!! So I thought I’d share it with you all. It’s a winner, trust me. This dish is soooo easy to make and it’s great for those nights when you need dinner on the table in a hurry.
I hope you give these recipes a try! 🙂
Health Benefits of These Meals:
- The prune juice in my Strawberry Prune Smoothie is great for digestion and constipation issues.
- The broccoli in my Lemon Pepper Roasted Broccoli with Dijon Aioli will provide you with a ton of Vitamin K, which is needed for calcium absorption.
- The garlic in my Garlicky Cajun Shrimp just might help lower your blood pressure. Garlic is a well-known health food. It is great for many things like helping to lower cholesterol and lowering the chances of certain cancers. This recipe uses a TON of garlic!!!
- Why does this blog post have 3 recipes? Find out in the FAQ Section!
- Still confused as to what exactly Daytime Vegan is? Learn more in the ABOUT Section
Click HERE to receive your eBook now!
Watch This Cooking Video To See Exactly How To Make These Dishes!!
- 1 cup kale
- 3 bananas
- 2 cups frozen strawberries
- 4 – 5 dates, pitted
- one ¼ inch thin slice of lemon (rind and all), or the juice of ½ a lemon
- 1 cup 100% no sugar added pure prune juice
- 2 cups water, filtered if possible
- Blend everything together until smooth. Add water to adjust the sweetness and consistency, if desired.
- 4 cups broccoli florets and/or stems
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, or more if the broccoli is still too dry
- 3 tablespoons lemon pepper
- salt to taste
- 1 cup cashews
- 1 cup zucchini, peeled, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup water, filtered if possible
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Place the broccoli in a large bowl and add the olive oil, lemon pepper, and salt. Mix well and spread onto a baking sheet. Add a little more oil if the broccoli still feels dry. Bake the broccoli for 15 – 20 minutes. It should be a little browned on the outside, but still have some firmness. It shouldn't be mushy.
- Meanwhile, place the rest of the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- To serve, place some broccoli on your plate and drizzle with the dijon aioli. I like to eat this with a side of brown rice for lunch. Enjoy!
- 1 pound jumbo shrimp, deveined, shell on (use any size shrimp if you can't find jumbo)
- 1 tablespoon old bay seasoning
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon lemon pepper
- 1 tablespoon cajun seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried dill
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- Salt to taste
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1⁄4 cup garlic cloves, minced
- 1½ tablespoon olive oil
- Mix everything in a storage bag and marinate for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Place a non-stick pan on medium heat. Add the marinated shrimp. Cook for 3 - 5 minutes, or until the shrimp is fully cooked. If the pan gets a little dry then drizzle in some olive oil. You may not need to add oil to the pan since we put olive oil in the marinade and we're using a non-stick pan.
- Serve once fully cooked.
- Suggested Sides: Salad and Baked Sweet Potato