31 Jan Avocado Toast with Citrus Corn Salsa & Spinach, Carrot, Apple Smoothie
“NUMEROUS SCIENTIFIC STUDIES NOW CONFIRM THAT A WHOLE FOODS DIET COMPRISED PRIMARILY OF VEGETABLES, FRUITS, GRAINS, LEGUMES, AND NUTS WITHOUT ADDED OIL, SUGAR, AND SALT IS OPTIMAL FOR HUMAN HEALTH, NOT ONLY PREVENTING A BROAD RANGE OF DISEASE AND ILLNESSES, BUT ALSO REVERSING SOME OF THE MOST DANGEROUS CHRONIC CONDITIONS. THIS FINDING IS OF THE HIGHEST IMPORTANCE TO THE COMMONWEALTH BECAUSE IT COMMUNICATES A TRUTH THAT HAS THE POWER TO SAVE LIVES.”
Daytime Vegan Menu #26
BREAKFAST SMOOTHIE: SPINACH, APPLE, CARROT
LUNCH: AVOCADO TOAST WITH CITRUS CORN SALSA
I don’t usually jump on bandwagons, but I could not avoid the avocado toast craze! Avocado toast really is a great lunch. It is quick and easy to make and it’s also very versatile. The amount of toppings you can put on your avocado toast in never-ending! Be as creative as you’d like. I chose to make Avocado Toast with Citrus Corn Salsa because…..well no particular reason really! I just love corn salsa. I eat it with guacamole over rice, so I figured it would taste well over sliced avocado on toast. Plus citrus and avocado is a magical combination.
Give it a try!
Health Benefits Of These Meals:
- Spinach, Carrot, Apple Smoothie: Spinach contains an antioxidant known as alpha-lipoic acid, which has been shown to lower glucose levels, increase insulin sensitivity and prevent oxidative stress-induced changes in patients with diabetes. Spinach and other green vegetables contain chlorophyll which has shown to be effective at blocking the carcinogenic effects of heterocyclic amines which are generated when grilling foods at a high temperature. Here is another study outlining the antioxidant benefits of spinach in regards to DNA damage and cholesterol.
- Avocado Toast with Citrus Corn Salsa: Studies show avocado might help protect our eyes and reduce the risk of Macular Degeneration, a disease that affects the retinas in our eyes.
***NOTE: This blog is not intended to replace the advice of a qualified healthcare practitioner. All information contained in this blog is the opinion of Monique and is not to be interpreted as medical advice.
- Want MORE healthy menus?! Click Here.
- Why does this blog post have 2 recipes? Find out in the FAQ Section!
- Still confused as to what exactly Daytime Vegan is? Learn more in the ABOUT Section
- 1 cup corn, fresh or frozen (thawed)
- 2 roma tomatoes
- ¼ cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- juice of 1 lemon or lime
- salt to taste
- about 8 slices of french bread
- 1 – 2 ripe hass avocados
- Place the first 8 ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix well. Let sit for at least 15 minutes to allow the flavors to merry.
- Place a skillet on medium heat. Add the bread slices and toast them for about 2 -3 minutes per side, or until each side is golden brown. You could add a little olive oil to the pan if you'd like, or even try using a toaster if your french bread slices will fit.
- Remove the toasted bread from the skilled. Open your avocado, remove the pit, and slice it. Add as much of the avocado to each bread slice as you'd like. Top the avocado with your desired amount of the Citrus Corn Salsa. Enjoy.
- 1 large carrot, roughly chopped
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 1 gala apple, quartered
- 2 cups water, filtered if possible, or pineapple juice
- 1 lemon slice
- Blend everything together until smooth. Add water to adjust the sweetness and consistency, if desired.
Lemon peel and pith have many health benefits so I like to blend whole slices of lemons in my smoothies. If your blender is not strong enough to blend lemon with the peel attached to it then I would use the juice of 1 or 2 lemons (taste to see how many you want to use).